Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Me pican las piernas


So much has happened since I got here! Let’s take a journey into yesteryear, shall we? Saturday: the day of arrivals. Sunday: the day of arrivals for other people but not for me!! I got up nice and early, 5:30 never hurt anyone, right? I finally fell asleep again after having to try heartily for about an hour. And then I woke up again! So Irena and I made our way down to breakfast and coffee. We went to a local church, and it was AWESOME!!! The service was very cool. They actually had someone get up and translate the service because they noticed all of us gringos there (naturally, I tried to ignore the translator and rely upon the Spanish). The service was challenging, encouraging, and (most importantly) air conditioned. I met the base security guard at church (whom I later impressed with my sarcasm and natural wit), his name is Alfredo, “like Alfredo sauce.” I currently have about 1.98 x 1036 mosquito bites on my legs, and it is taking every ounce of strength in me to not scratch the heck out of them right now. Grandma, we don’t have bed bugs, but apparently we have mosquitoes. Sunday continued with a nice run along the boardwalk ( in the middle of the day in Mexico.. I was really using my brain when I decided to do that!) and a lovely time at Los Pinos with two girls who are traveling from YWAM base to base until December (Sharon and Ashley). I really enjoyed myself. Then we had dinner and eventually made our way out to the plaza for coffee. On our walk back, we passed a huge hangout area for local families. On the weekends it is super crowded. Clowns, dancing, boys jumping off of a cliff into the water with little torches, all the good stuff. Oh! And a crazy man who would lean back and yelp, “Ayayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeee perros calientes!!!!” It was super fascinating and a great chance to see into the life of a local. We went to bed (sleeping- my anti-drug) and woke up every few minutes as the air conditioner would kick on. It is a lovely thing.

Monday was a great day, too. It started like the others: waking up much too early, breakfast, and then wanting to be in bed. At 9 we had an all-base worship session; it was a really cool time to praise God and get to do so with the rest of the base. Heather, the director of the base, prayed with me (talk about a really moving time). After that two hour time, we students had our first “class.” I love this kind of class (to an extent): ice breakers, talking, and doing some sweet trick with a  broom. Then we had lunch and a good chunk of free time. Naturally, I zipped down to the beach as soon as I heard the words “free time.” I read a book there for a good hour (I’m turning into my sister!) and came back… and read the book for another hour in the pool (suffering for the Lord… with an in-ground pool). All of us students met up at 4:30 for a tour of the city. Again, gotta love walking when it’s beastly hot out. However, it was really good to get familiar with the area. I love it!!!! We came back, had a fabulous dinner, and then had registration night. I don’t know what I love more than paperwork. Except everything. Then, we hit the hay pretty early (my dream come true!). And so begins the eternal process of sleeping, waking up to the air conditioner, sleeping, hearing the lovely machine, and, of course, trying to force myself into more sleep (naturally, I kindly agreed to the idea of more sleep). Seriously, my legs are driving me nuts. I am actually denying myself turning on the fan as though that is weakness and will lead me to scratch my legs. Oh. My. Word. ¡Me pican las piernas!!! Well, breakfast happened, and this blog-writing happened. Now, I feel you should all know that, although I am an excellent specimen with particularly great attributes, I will likely give in to my itchy legs in about 17 seconds… and itch the heck out of them. I love you all. But more than that, I love having not itchy legs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment